Send us news by text, start your message CN News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Crewe man's death due to heroin addiction
A CREWE man was admitted to Hospital 32 times for illnesses compicated by drugs before his death, an inquest heard.
Michael Steven Iurlano, of Bradford Road, had been a long term heroin user.
The father of three died at Leighton on July 21 2012, aged 39, after collapsing in his parents’ kitchen following an asthma attack.
Michael left school at 17 and gained employment as a roofer. He had three children with his partner Phillippa.
Reading from Mother Bernadette Cork’s statement, coroner Michael Wallbank said Michael ‘fell in with the wrong crowd’ and began to take drugs, spending up to £50 per week on heroin and cocaine.
Mrs Cork said on the infrequent occasions she saw her son, he ‘looked like a skeleton and his skin was grey.’ Michael moved back home when his relationship with Phillippa ended.
He was prescribed methadone to treat his addiction, as well as other drugs and steroids to treat bouts of depression, anxiety and his worsening emphysema.
Mrs Cork said: “He was frightened to go to sleep at night. I would get up at 5am so he could go and lie down. He felt safe then.”
Mr Wallbank said Michael’s drug use ‘brought him into contact with the police’.
After being released from prison, Mrs Cork said Michael looked like ‘another person’.
“He had put on so much weight. He looked bloated,” she said.
Michael had been a keen cyclist but drug use affected him to the point he was unable to ride.
“His breathing had become so bad that he couldn’t ride a bike, and after a few steps walking he had to stop and hold onto something because he was completely out of breath,” said Mrs Cork.
The day before his death, Mrs Cork said Michael’s health seemed improved.
“He ate a full meal and he was very happy. It looked like there was nothing up with him.”
In the morning Michael awoke, shouting for his inhaler.
While sat in the kitchen recovering from an asthma attack, he slumped forward, began gargling and lost consciousness.
An ambulance was called at 6.10am and a rapid response vehicle arrived six minutes later. Michael regained consciousness. His heart rate was recorded as 53 compared to 140 normally.
Salbutamol was administered and he was taken to Leighton Hospital, where he died at 7.29am.
Dr Paul Simcock attributed his death to opiate toxicity complicating pulmonary emphysema.
Summing up at Crewe Municipal Buildings on Friday, February 21, Mr Wallbank delivered a verdict of death by misadventure.
He said: “Michael appears to have committed offences to fund his drugs habit. He had been a long term heroin addict.
“In a person without pre existing medical history it may not have fatal, but in view of his medical history it has led to his death.”