Send us news by text, start your message CN News and your send photos and videos to 80360
VIDEOS - Firefighters tackle thatched roof pub blaze in Barthomley
Firefighters tackled a blaze engulfing the thatched roof of a pub in Barthomley on Monday, April 1.
Crews arrived at 3.45pm to find the roof of the White Lion pub on Audley Road well alight.
Four fire engines were initially sent to the scene - two from Crewe, one from Holmes Chapel and one from Poynton, while firefighters from Kidsgrove in Staffordshire also attended.
Crews ensured that everyone was out of the property before setting up equipment to tackle the blaze.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets and one main jet to tackle the fire.
The hydraulic platform from Macclesfield was sent to the scene, while further fire engines were requested to bring extra staff to tackle the fire and maintain water supplies.
Crews managed to make a fire break in the thatched roof to prevent the fire from spreading to the remainder of the property.
Firefighters on the hydraulic platform and on five metre ladders then began removing smouldering thatch and damping it down.
The fire was contained to approximately a third of the thatch roof.
At around 7.30pm, officers began to reduce the number of fire engines in attendance, although crews remained at the scene for several hours, checking for hotspots and damping down.
A spokesman from Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was believed to have been caused by embers from a fireplace.
Comments are closed on this article.