Send us news by text, start your message CN News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Vet warns of deadly dog virus outbreak
A CREWE veterinarian has warned of an outbreak of a deadly dog virus in the town.
Dr Anthony Johnson of the Alexandra Veterinary Centre in Edleston Road has seen two year’s worth of Parvovirus cases in less than a fortnight.
The infection is marked by severe bouts of vomiting and blood in the animal’s movements, and can kill in a matter of days if it is not treated immediately – particularly in younger dogs.
The virus is passed from dog to dog by contact with vomit and faeces, and can also be spread by shoes and clothing, and on the dog’s coat and pads.
“We’ve had quite an outbreak in Crewe over the last ten days,” said Dr Johnson.
“We’ve had three cases in that period. That’s the same amount I’d seen in the previous two years.
“It’s a viral infection that causes severe vomiting and blood in the dog’s movements. It’s potentially lethal and very infectious.”
Protection against the virus is included in annual dog vaccination jabs.
“It’s important for people to keep up to date with their vaccinations,” added Dr Johnson.
“If people suspect they may have a dog that has contracted the virus it’s very important not to take it out on a walk anywhere where they are likely to pass it on and it’s vital to contact a vet straight away.
“I know of one case where it was left for five days. In that circumstance, the chances of survival for the dog are very slim.
“If your dog vomits a couple of times close together then seems to be ok, then I wouldn’t unduly worry.
“But if it’s being sick pretty frequently for quite a few hours then it really needs to be seen.”
The main symptoms of Parvovirus are severe vomiting and diarrhoea.
If you think your pet has contracted the disease then it is vital that the animal remains isolated from other dogs, and that you contact a vet for advice immediately.
Owners should not take potentially infected dogs to veterinary centres without first making an appointment, in case the disease is passed to other animals.
Comments are closed on this article.