Whitby Town 1 Nantwich Town 2

A Sean Cooke cracker continued Nantwich’s impressive away form as Jimmy Quinn’s side returned from the East coast with all three points.

Cooke’s late winner extended Dabbers' unbeaten away run to five after Mat Bailey had levelled for Nantwich after they had gone behind to a Nathan Mulligan penalty.

Quinn made one change to the side that drew 3-3 with Chorley in midweek, with Chris Flynn away, as Christian Smith deputised.

Nantwich started brightly and went close to taking the lead on two minutes, when Lewis Short headed Josh Lane’s cross wide.

Although Nantwich controlled the early stages The Seasiders still created chances and were unfortunate not to take the lead when Graeme Armstrong struck narrowly over.

Whitby did get the breakthrough on the half-hour mark as referee, Barry Gordon, adjudged Darren Moss to have pushed Mulligan in the area and Whitby’s leading marksman made no mistake in converting from the spot.

It didn’t take long for The Dabbers to reply though, as Lane flashed his shot across the area and Kyle Wilson knocked a delightful ball to the back post for Bailey to nod home.

The Yorkshire outfit should have gone in front just after half-time when the normally reliable Rod McDonald lost possession and gifted Dave McTiernan acres of space to pull back for Mulligan, who smashed over from eight yards.

Wilson and substitute Caspar Hughes both went close for Nantwich before Cooke lashed home the match winner.

Jonny Brain’s long ball was headed down by Lane and Cooke took one touch before unleashing a thunder strike into the top corner leaving keeper Nick Liversedge with no chance, a goal worthy of winning any football match.

Kevin Burgess blew a golden chance from six yards as Whitby looked to find an equaliser but The Dabbers held firm to secure another vital away victory.

Nantwich: Brain, Moss, Smith, Maguire, Bailey ©, McDonald, Cooke, McLachlan, Lane, Wilson (Jones, 90), Short (Hughes, 62). Subs: Foster, Beesley, Campbell.